We strongly believe that healthy sleep habits make healthy children. A well-rested child is curious, energetic, happy, playful, and eager to learn.
When parents entrust us as their child's "sleep guide", either through one-on-one consultations or seminars, they are placing a great deal of trust in us, and we want to let you know that we take this responsibility very seriously.
While most books and programs dealing with child sleep issues take philosophical stands (based largely around the issue of "crying it out"), we believe that your child's sleep is more important than our personal views on this subject. That's why our sleep method places so much emphasis on accommodating different parenting styles. The bottom line is that you, as a parent, need to be comfortable with your new sleep plan in order for it to work for your child!
Our approach to improving your child's sleep is pretty simple:
1. We will give you honest information about WHY sleep is so important for your child's well-being.
- This will give you all the motivation you need to make changes to your child's sleep habits.
2. We will lay out an easy-to-follow, step-by-step plan that lets you make some choices about what is the right approach for your child.
- All children are different and nobody knows your child better than you do. We encourage you to use your knowledge of your child to customize his or her sleep plan.
3. We will show you how to measure success.
- No, you shouldn't expect your child to sleep 12 uninterrupted hours on the first night - although it does happen! We will tell you what you should expect along the way!
A little note about the "crying" question: Since people always ask us about whether my solutions involve "crying it out", we think it's something that deserves to be addressed here. Crying is your child's way of protesting change, and you can expect that making changes to their sleep habits will result in some protest. That is why we are always sure to tell parents that our program will most likely involve at least some amount of protest on the child's part. Please understand that we will never ask you to leave your child to cry alone, nor will we ask you to ignore their cries. The reason that our sleep method is so effective is that it lets you develop a plan that you feel comfortable with, based on what you know about your child.
If you have any questions at all about the philosophy behind my sleep method, please don't hesitate to ask!